Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating)
Hyperhidrosis is the term used to describe a condition in which a person sweats excessively. Excessive sweating can be particularly embarrassing and distressing and can have a negative impact on your quality of life, which may lead to feelings of anxiety and depression. It most commonly affects the armpits, hands, feet and forehead.
Fortunately, there is a highly effective solution! We inject small amounts of botulinum toxin just beneath the skin, very close to the sweat glands, which causes a significant reduction in sweating. This is a virtually painless procedure and the results are noticeable within a few days and usually lasts for 6-8 months.
Even a small amount of sweating can be unacceptable for some people when it interferes with their everyday life.
It is difficult to define what excessive sweating is, but if you find your sweating causes:
- You to avoid physical contact, such as shaking hands, because you feel self-conscious about your sweating
- You to spend a significant amount of time coping with sweating – for example, frequently showering and changing your clothes
- You to avoid taking part in activities, such as dancing or exercise, for fear it may make your sweating worse
- You become socially withdrawn and self-conscious
- Interference with your job – for example, you have difficulty holding tools or using a computer keyboard
You are will benefit from this highly effective treatment. This quick, safe treatment is especially effective to treat excessive sweating affecting the following areas:
- palms of your hands
- soles of your feet
Don’t forget that lifestyle changes may also help, including:
- wearing loose and light clothes
- avoiding triggers, such as alcohol and spicy foods, that could make your sweating worse
- wearing black or white clothes to help minimise the signs of sweating
The treatment is very well tolerated and only takes a few minutes to administer. You will be able to resume normal activity afterwards, except for intensive exercise, saunas, or any situation which may cause you to sweat excessively.
Dr Jenny will be happy to guide you through the procedure and answer any questions you may have at the initial consultation.